[vcf-midatlantic] Univac name plate

Evan Koblentz evan at snarc.net
Mon Apr 4 22:24:10 EDT 2016

> Dean and I went to install the Univac CPU name plate that Corey L.
> rescued. As we hoped, the air vent (in which the name plates mount) from
> the tape drive has screw holes in the same locations as on the CPU, so I
> removed the vent from our spare tape drive in the warehouse. The next
> challenge is the remove the name plate from the vent: it's riveted on
> there. Jimmy J. from the train group explained to me how to grind down
> the rivet doughnut thingamajig using a Dremel and the right attachment.
> He even put some rivets in a piece of scrap wood so I have something on
> which to practice before doing the real one. The proper name plate has
> nuts on the back, so it will attach without needed to re-rivet anything.
> I brought home the spare vent and the correct name plate and will work
> on that during the week.

Here are some pictures of the nameplates.

http://vcfed.org/evan/univac/1540vent_1219.jpg

This is the tape drive (model #1540) vent with the new-to-us 1219
nameplate underneath it. Note that the drive plate (from our parts drive
in the warehouse) doesn't actually say 1540 on it. The same one in the
museum has that part, so that's good.

http://vcfed.org/evan/univac/homemade_bracket_1219.jpg

Looks like whomever took the 1219 nameplate installed some kind of
homemade bracket long before we got the computer. Fortunately the
homemade bracket is only attached with three nuts. They came right off,
very easy!

http://vcfed.org/evan/univac/nuts_bracket.jpg

Here's the back of the 1219 nameplate with the homemade bracket removed.

http://vcfed.org/evan/univac/1540rivets.jpg

And here is the back of the 1540 nameplate showing how it is riveted
onto the air vent.

Tomorrow I will grind down the back of those rivets and then the 1540
nameplate "should" easily come off its air vent. Then just insert the
1219 nameplate, tighten down the nuts, and attach it onto the computer.