[vcf-midatlantic] museum report

Evan Koblentz evan at snarc.net
Sun Apr 10 22:42:54 EDT 2016

Steve A. and I worked for several more hours in the museum today.

Big accomplishments: finally hung our banner outside the building (Steve
is fearless on an extension ladder!) and got the stanchions/chains set
up inside.

Steve being immune to gravity: http://vcfed.org/evan/ladder.jpg.

Our sign next to the surfer group's sign:
http://vcfed.org/evan/vcf_surfers.jpg.

We only used the grommets on the corners. I thought we'd need the ones
along the middle/edges, but today was very windy and the sign barely
billowed at all, so it's probably all set. Perhaps we will install the
middle bolts on a warm sunny day. For now the sign is mounted tight, it
looks good, and it's definitely not going anywhere.

Our homemade stanchions tend to get bumped into and moved off-course by
visitors. Easy way to deal with that: we took a fine-tip black Sharpie
and traced the bottom of each stanchion base. That way, it's obvious
where they go back.

We also cleaned more, moved lots of stuff back to the warehouse
(including our outdoor-style trash can), and purchased a nice
indoor-style can for the museum. Picked up a couple of rolls of blue
duct tape, which we'll use to create a walking aisle around museum
exhibits. We're not worried about the tape ripping up the gray paint on
the floor because we are a developing a creative and fun re-painting
plan for the floor this summer anyhow.

I stayed up extremely late last night and found a nice (and simple) way
to format all the microcomputer signs. Going to print and hang them on
Tuesday. The frames we ordered (24 pack for the larger 13x19 frames)
arrived; we'll use those for the larger systems and in various other
places around the museum.

The only major thing that won't be done in time for VCF East is setting
up the Android kiosks. That will have to be a summer project.