[vcf-midatlantic] Pre VCF photos...

Bill Sudbrink wh.sudbrink at verizon.net
Tue Apr 12 14:09:40 EDT 2016

Herb Johnson wrote:
> If memory serves, the Cromemco Cyclops camera used
> an uncovered DRAM for the optical sensor. If so,
> that would be the most interesting construction
> feature of this facsimile version.

Yes.  Dr. Garland and Dr. Walker have told me that they
"decapitated" them both mechanically (with a very sharp
chisel) and with heat (using a precise lab bench heat
plate).  I'm trying to decide which way to go myself.
I only have a few to "screw up".  I have a fairly high
quality Pace SensaTemp soldering iron that can reach the
required temperature (291 degrees C, I'm told).  I have
a large "mini-wave" tip that will hold a large drop of
solder.  I'm probably going to try that first.  Lightly
grip the chip in a small bench vice, mostly inverted.
Bring the soldering tip up from underneath and apply heat
until the cap shows motion, quickly remove the heat and
push the lid off with a piece of wire.

Bill