[vcf-midatlantic] Final class schedule for this Friday

Brian L. Stuart blstuart at bellsouth.net
Tue Apr 12 15:04:03 EDT 2016

On Tue, 4/12/16, Brian Schenkenberger via vcf-midatlantic <vcf-midatlantic at lists.vintagecomputerfederation.org> wrote:
> Are there any abstracts available for these classes?

I feel like I'm pulling an AOL "me too" with Ian, especially since
his line about being abstract applies very well to me too.

My early class is Analog Computer Basics.  I plan to go though
the basic idea of electronic computing without bits.  The first
few minutes will be a quick overview of key ideas in electrical
engineering.  The second segment will look at using operational
amplifiers to create mathematical building blocks.  The remainder
of the presentation will go through an example of modeling a
simple physical system and illustrating it on a Comdyna GP-6.

The second session I'm part of is on the ENIAC.  Evan and I are
basically tag-teaming about the ENIAC.  I'll let Evan speak to
anything he wants to say about his part of the presentation.  My
part will focus on the technical details of how the machine
worked.  I'll also be talking some about how it was programmed
(primarily in its original mode of operation, but as time permits
I do plan to talk a little about the instruction set architecture
implemented in 1948).  Several aspects of the machine's operation
will be illustrated with an ENIAC simulator I've been developing
over the past few months.

I'll also echo Ian's offter that I'll be glad to adjust the focus and
emphasis of my talks to address things that are of most interest
to the audience.

Hope that's helpful to anyone trying to decide which sessions
to attend.

BLS