[vcf-midatlantic] MMJ cables for cheap

VAXman at tmesis.org VAXman at tmesis.org
Sat Apr 23 15:46:12 EDT 2016

David Hoelzer via vcf-midatlantic writes:

>If you are in need of DEC MMJ cables, I have some good news and bad =
>news.  First, the good news:
>
>=
>http://www.amazon.com/Flat-Modular-Cable-RJ12-6x6MMJ/dp/B000AA2SL4?ie=3DUT=
>F8&psc=3D1&redirect=3Dtrue&ref_=3Doh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00 =
><http://www.amazon.com/Flat-Modular-Cable-RJ12-6x6MMJ/dp/B000AA2SL4?ie=3DU=
>TF8&psc=3D1&redirect=3Dtrue&ref_=3Doh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00>
>
>The picture is definitely an offset key (MMJ) six strand cable, 7 feet =
>long, for only $3.92.
>
>The bad news=E2=80=A6 It=E2=80=99s not actually an MMJ, it=E2=80=99s =
>just a regular MJ (Modular Jack).  Even so, there=E2=80=99s still good =
>news.  With some strategic dremeling it is completely possible to trim =
>one side of the MJ down so that it will fit quite well into a DEC MMJ =
>socket. :)

Why?  MMJ plugs are still available even if complete cables might be a rare
find.  Make your own by crimping an MMJ plug on a piece of flat 6-conductor
cable.  Flip the cable over and crimp on the other end.  Done!

If you have to buy them:  http://www.cabledepot.com/05MCPhoneMMJ.html

Me?  I just open up one of many boxes of them and put one out, even though
I have ample MMJ plugs and crimper tools to make them.  I only manufacture
my own if/when I want a cable of a specific length to avoid having to take
up the excess with zip-tied loops.