[vcf-midatlantic] HERO batteries

Corey Little curator at cpmuseum.com
Tue Apr 26 18:11:14 EDT 2016

>>> I've already polled the Hero robot owners group about what modern
>>batteries a Hero 1 can use
>>
>>My inclination is to remove the HERO battery, open it up (nearly
>>Dremeling is necessary), and have it rebuilt by Batteries Plus using
>>comparable NiCads with modern amperage. That's what I did for an IBM
>>Simon phone last year and it worked fantastically well. Rebuilt the two
>>halves of the pack with epoxy and then sanded it flat.

This may be a naive answer as it comes only from my own personal experience,
but I have HERO 1's here using 4 6v UB5-6F Lead Acid cells.  (Mine are
older, but they appear to still available.
http://www.amazon.com/Universal-UB56F-Sealed-Lead-Battery/dp/B00NR5NYOY)

I definitely complement you on the VERY nice job on the Simon pack.  But I
would recommend against trying to cut into a sealed lead acid cell.  Think
taking a sawzall to a car battery.  :-)

-Corey L.
Curator, cpmuseum