[vcf-midatlantic] HERO batteries

Alexander Pierson ajpierson1 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 26 18:26:18 EDT 2016

Hero robots tend to use sealed lead-acid cells, rather than NiCads.  I even used to have the original batteries from my Jr which were long dead, but still sealed up nicely.  These days I use larger 12V 7Ah cells for my Hero Jr. which work very well for the task but certainly would not fit in a Hero 1 chassis.  However, traditionally a Jr. should use the same battery type as the Hero 1 which looks just like Corey's suggestion.

Those 6V 5Ah sealed lead-acid cells look like the correct size.  Two in the head on either side of the sonar system, two between the wheels?  And what kind of operation time have you been able to get from your Hero 1 as a result?  I think we might have a winner.
-Alexander 'Z' Pierson

    On Tuesday, April 26, 2016 6:14 PM, Evan Koblentz via vcf-midatlantic <vcf-midatlantic at lists.vintagecomputerfederation.org> wrote:

 >> I definitely complement you on the VERY nice job on the Simon pack.  But I
would recommend against trying to cut into a sealed lead acid cell.  Think
taking a sawzall to a car battery.

Thanks, and thanks for the tip! I assumed they were NiCads. Guess not. :)