[vcf-midatlantic] VCF's HOPE exhibit

Ethan telmnstr at 757.org
Wed Apr 27 11:41:00 EDT 2016

> Question is: will the HOPE attendees look at a box on wheels and say "oh,
> that's an Arduino, it's a toy-bot, so what?" It's entirely reasonable for
> Evan to conclude such an exhibit would not be as productive a display as,
> say, a more visually impressive HERO, clearly a commercialized hobby /
> educational product of the period.

All kinds and types at HOPE. On the hacker con scale HOPE is generally
more political than raw tech/exploits/theory of the other events. The
political side becomes more important every day, of course. DIY Bio
hacking is becoming bigger, I see it like the homebrew computer club. In
those days computers were locked away in big rooms by people with lab
coats, the personal computer revolution hit. I guess we are in the same
state with biology at this point (not a recreational drug enthusiast here,
no idea where all the diy bio will end up.) I haven't seen the talk
schedule but a friend from Norfolk was accepted to talk about DIY bio
stuff. Guess I need to buy my hope tickets and figure out lodging heh.

There are likely to be people who know exactly what the Hero robots are,
and ones that don't. As long as people don't go out and buy them and stick
RPi's in them, all is good :-) The more info you can put up that is quick
read about the things, the better!