[vcf-midatlantic] IBM PS/2 Floppy Blues

Jonathan Gevaryahu jgevaryahu at gmail.com
Sat Aug 6 23:40:21 EDT 2016

Does this model of PS/2 use a ds1287 rtc/nvram module?
I know at least the PS/2 55sx does, and replacing a dead original ds1287
rtc/nvram with a ds12887a does not work (but ds12887 non-a should work)
due to a miswired pin on the socket on the mainboard (the /CLR pin on
ds128(8)7A is N/C on a ds128(8)7, and is wired to +5v, which you'd think
would be fine, but 5v drops to 0v when you turn the power switch off and
clears the nvram contents; due to a different bug (using a base-0
checksum perhaps) if the nvram is cleared like this the system disk
cannot correctly restore it, if you try the system always dumps to BASIC
no matter what; to restore it you will need to possibly execute some IO
POKE commands from basic to write some garbage to the nvram to corrupt
it, then rerun the system disk.
If you have a ds12887a ONLY, you can cut off the /CLR pin or bend it
sideways so it doesn't make contact with the socket (and presto, its now
a ds12887)
I ran into this mess a few years ago.

Btw, only difference between ds12887(a) and ds1287(a) is the former
supports y2k/century byte, the latter doesn't.

--
Jonathan Gevaryahu
jgevaryahu at gmail.com
jgevaryahu at hotmail.com