[vcf-midatlantic] OT: In need of "retired" Sprint cellphones

Joseph Oprysko joprysko1 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 14 02:37:12 EDT 2016

I'm doing some work with a not for profit organization that is providing
some local low income families with free cellphones and free service.
Unlike the federal "lifeline" service which does not provide a smartphone
option, without charging that is. The organization has an agreement with a
Sprint MVNO which provides 100 Minutes/100 SMS/100 MMS/100 MB of data at
absolutely no cost to the consumer. Also, lifeline limits the service to
one phone per household. We're trying to provide a way to keep families
with kids connected. Right now we've had to limit the number of phones per
family to 2, mainly because of a lack of phones.

I believe they need to be Sprint branded phones. I do not know if the other
Sprint MVNO's like Boost or Virgin Mobile will be able to port correctly,
as I believe the settings that need to be changed are locked out.

The one Virgin Mobile phone I did try to activate, the MSID activated, but
I was unable to complete the configuration, even manually. But it could
just have been that it was a very old version of Android on it. 2.4 If I
recall correctly, so some slightly newer ones *may* work and allow for the
OTA provisioning.

While retired smartphones are preferred, I've also configured several flip
phones. Better for use with older people who are confused by the idea of
smartphones.

If you have anything lying around that you'd like to donate to the cause,
email me off the list. I'm looking for functional devices, not the phone
you left on top of the car and took the asphalt dive, or the ones dropped
into the tub/pool.

If you can include the IMEI/MEID/ESN numbers, I can verify that they can be
activated. Also if you could let me know the make and model of them. If
they are the older flip phones that need non-standard chargers, those
accessories would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone!

Joseph Oprysko.

Normal Person: So you go surfing?
lot...