[vcf-midatlantic] Kaypro 10 ROM question

Douglas Crawford touchetek at gmail.com
Sat Aug 27 14:17:55 EDT 2016

On 8/26/2016 7:45 PM, Mike Loewen via vcf-midatlantic wrote:

>    Any Kaypro experts here?
>
>    I'm in the process of installing a KayPLUS ROM in a Kaypro 10, in
> preparation for installing a new (larger) hard drive. My K10 has a
> 81-180 series mainboard, but the sticker is missing from the factory
> ROM and I can't tell which one it is. It powers on to display version
> 1.9e. Assuming that this is an '83 version mainboard, the ROM should
> be 81-302. Can someone confirm which ROM version displays 1.9e?
>
>    I've successfully burned a 2764 with the kplus83.rom image and made
> the hardware modifications described in the KayPLUS manual. However,
> absolutely nothing happens when I power up. Everything works fine when
> I replace the original ROM. I want to make sure I'm following the
> right instructions for my combination of mainboard and ROM.
>

> Mike Loewen                mloewen at cpumagic.scol.pa.us
> Old Technology                http://q7.neurotica.com/Oldtech/

Mike I have the same machine torn down due to funky hard drive also.
Same rom version here as reported on the screen and the sticker is in
place on the ROM 81-187.
See 2nd pic here of mine:
http://imgur.com/a/UzZBR
I did some research and found pictures of the '83 models that were the
same as my MB
that's how I figure its an '83.  The '84 moves the HD connector to the
card edge by
the floppy connector.  I'm trying to decide if its better to just start
with the '84 and
leave the '83 go.
Seems to me that ROM you made should have worked.
I may or may not go with any of the ROM updates such as KayPLUS.
Reading various sites shows me its hard to nail down a sure road to
success, I hate to say.
I may stay with a MFM drive instead.