[vcf-midatlantic] So, we're going to need an office computer.

chrisjpf33 at gmail.com chrisjpf33 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 06:26:46 EST 2016

On Feb 5, 2016, at 12:26 AM, Evan Koblentz via vcf-midatlantic <vcf-midatlantic at lists.vintagecomputerfederation.org> wrote:

We're going to need a computer for the new museum's office/workbench area.

Requirements:

1. It must have a very small footprint. A full tower, anything rack-mounted, servers, etc. are not suitable for our current situation. Ideally a "mini" case (ha! a minicomputer...) would serve us well.

2. We don't need a laptop and would rather have a desktop anyhow, so we can more easily upgrade it and avoid proprietary stuff.

3. Its motherboard should have a sufficient CPU and enough RAM capacity to run a modern operating system.

4. Serial port. :)

5. We'll need this in the next few weeks.

That's about it. I figure we can buy a cheap SSD, install Windows 7 SP1 -- which is the least-worst version of Windows -- and make it dual-boot into Linux. I can do all of that myself, but it would certainly save time if the system gets to us already configured this way.

I have a spare USB keyboard/mouse to donate. VCF owns a few small-ish square LCDs, but we could definitely use a donation of a modern wide-screen LCD -- perhaps a 22-inch or around that size.

Dell Optiplex 755 work for you???