[vcf-midatlantic] Correction: Semi-OT: printer for new museum signs

Mike Loewen mloewen at cpumagic.scol.pa.us
Tue Jan 5 18:09:41 EST 2016

On Tue, 5 Jan 2016, Dave McGuire via vcf-midatlantic wrote:

> On 01/05/2016 04:49 PM, Herb Johnson via vcf-midatlantic wrote:
>> And there's laser printers too, some of which also scan, at modest
>> prices (but large toner costs).
>
>  This is a common but fallacious argument against laser printers.  The
> last time I bought a cartridge for my main printer, sure it was well
> over $100.00...but I get about 25,000 pages out of a cartridge.  Do the
> math. ;)
>
>  (Not you, Herb, but others here who may read what you typed and nod,
> "Oh yes, I'm sticking with my ink jet, laser printer toner cartridges
> are EXPENSIVE!")
>
>  Ink jet printers have been little more than a scam for many years now.
> It's along the same lines as the lottery being a tax on people who are
> bad at math.  The only real exceptions are the large-format ones, for
> which no better solution currently exists.
>
>               -Dave

    There's a way to cut down on ink costs, though.  Depending on your
printer, you may be able to get a 3rd party Continuous Ink Supply System
(CISS), with enough ink to print for a couple of years of normal use.
I've been using one on my Epson R380 for 4 or 5 years, and only recently
had to replace it because the chips on the cartridges were no longer being
recognized.  If your ink runs low, just buy a bottle of that color, and
refill the tank.  Cost me $30, and the ink looks great.

Mike Loewen				mloewen at cpumagic.scol.pa.us