[vcf-midatlantic] OT: Virtualbox problems

Evan Koblentz evan at snarc.net
Tue Jan 12 21:41:16 EST 2016

Certainly not vintage, asking here because you guys are smart!

I had Windows 7 Pro 32-bit installed on VirtualBox under Ubuntu. It
worked fine, albeit very slow.

Last week I bought a new motherboard, processor, and RAM. What I had was
about 8 years old and only 2GB RAM. The new specs include a 64-bit
processor and 16GB RAM (expandable to 64).

I didn't have to reinstall anything -- plugged in my SSD and the OS and
all programs worked fine, just a whole lot faster!

The only thing that broke is Windows under Virtualbox. It kept saying
"aborted" upon booting.

I uninstalled it and replaced it with the 64-bit version. Same problem
-- it aborts during boot, can't even install it.

Googling wasn't particularly helpful. Any ideas?