[vcf-midatlantic] Ways the Federation COULD make money

Joseph Oprysko joprysko1 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 15:47:02 EST 2016

I've been thinking about this quite a bit, if anyone has seen the website
for the Computer History Museum in California, that place both makes me
drool and kind of disgusted at the same time.

It's beautiful!  Utterly beautiful, the museum reminds me of places like
the Franklin Institute, or other science museums.  Very high tech displays
displaying the history of the vintage tech.

The fact that they have one of the Google Robotic Cars I was like WOAH!
That's absolutely awesome!

We all know that an organization like that must have gotten quite a bit in
corporate funding to help setup their displays.  And I honestly feel that
corporate funding from companies like AT&T, Verizon, IBM, Lockheed, and
others would likely be the most viable way to a high volume capable museum
to appear on the east coast for the Federation.

We could also have other types of fund raisers, from soliciting local
businesses, apply for various grants from the government, online auctions
of surplus (which personally I despise the idea of doing, I'd rather keep
the surplus as property of the federation, if we want something to do with
something we have 10 or more of, maybe have classes on working on them,
that way we have units for spares/parts/etc), crowdfunding is also a
possibility for certain projects.  I'm sure there are other ways I haven't
mentioned or even considered, these are a few that came off the top of my
head.

We have to remember, VCF is a Non-Profit CORPORATION, note the 3rd word,
yes, it's an organization, but it's a corporation, a business, Which means,
any "profit" goes towards furthering the primary goals of the organization,
as opposed to lining the pockets of the individuals in a traditional
corporation.  So, there's nothing wrong with the museum and VCF trying to
make money, it's just what they do with the money above the operating
expenses that differs from a regular business.  And I'm sure Corey can back
me up on that.

So, we don't have to "live" like we only have enough to rub 2 sticks
together (or sit behind some big iron) to keep warm, that's why this
internal only fundraiser for the stools confused the living hell out of
me.  I've talked to Evan about a few "BIG" idea for the future to bring up
to the board, dunno if he did or not, but with a few good grants or
corporate investments from some companies that we may be able to reel in,
we could make this a lot more fun, as well as a lot more popular.

Let's teach as many of the students of today about the computers of
yesterday!!!

Joseph Oprysko

Normal Person: So you go surfing?
lot...