[vcf-midatlantic] OT: Dell Dimension XPS 466V

Neil Cherry ncherry at linuxha.com
Wed Jan 20 08:40:10 EST 2016

On 01/20/2016 08:43 AM, Systems Glitch via vcf-midatlantic wrote:
>> ANYONE  - show me a 286 system running Windows 3.1, I'd love to see that.
>
> My first laptop was a Compaq SLT/286 running Windows 3.1. I don't have any pictures at
> the moment, but I'm pretty sure the laptop is still at my parents' house.

That might be something nice to display in the museum. I recall Windows 3.0
and a 286 (I wanted my dumb terminal back) but I will say that I am fortunate
to not have had to live with a 286 and 3.1 (or better).

We also had Macs at the time and they were clearly better. I could never
really understand why people were using Windows at the time. Our Macs
were the color Macs and were very expensive (I'm betting that was it)
but they were reliable and the environment was completely consistent.
The Mac applications generally shared the exact same key and mouse
strokes so learning a new application was a breeze and the mouse and
the keyboard compliment each other. On Windows, trying to use the mouse
and keyboard in a consistent manner was impossible.

Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry       ncherry at linuxha.com