[vcf-midatlantic] DC Area Head Count

Derrik Walker v2.0 dwalker at doomd.net
Sat Jan 30 22:11:52 EST 2016

On 01/30/2016 12:46 PM, Dave McGuire via vcf-midatlantic wrote:
> On 01/30/2016 11:06 AM, Derrik Walker v2.0 via vcf-midatlantic wrote:
>> I do have one question however ... how does one acquire a Cray J90
>> anything? or any Cray for that matter?
>    It's a matter of being in the right place at the right time.
I seem to rarely get lucky like that.
>> An EL-92 or 94 ( so I can
>> actually power it in a house ) has been on my wish list for decades.
>    I'm sorry to say you likely won't find any of those.  There were very
> few of those models made, less than fifty as far as I'm aware.
I realize this ... ( as witnessed by the fact I have yet to get my
grubby hands on one )

>    A J90 can easily be run in a house; my biggish config pulled about
> 5kW.  Those are more attainable.
I've thought about a J90 ... but it's so damn complex.  Getting a
working one, along with the Sparc 5 needed to run it seem to be
challenging.  And still, 5KW is a lot.

--
-- Derrik

Derrik Walker v2.0, RHCE
dwalker at doomd.net

"Those UNIX guys, they think weird!" -- John C. Dvorak