[vcf-midatlantic] OT: Anyone have an old laserdisc player?

Herb Johnson hjohnson at retrotechnology.info
Thu Jul 28 14:04:43 EDT 2016

Matt Patoray said:

 > The best player for those discs is a Pioneer VP-1100 or a
 >Sylvania  VP-7200. The Pioneer VP-660 also works well.
 > Avoid the Sony LDP-1000 as almost all of them have laser tubes
 > that have gone to air.

I'm sorry to hear about the Sony; I have a Sony LDP-1500 model I've not
run in years. I'll have to check it out. If others bring their laserdisk
players to Infoage, maybe I'll bring mine for sale.

Matt: an old trick to restore HeNe laser tubes, is to put the tube in a
plastic bag and fill the bag with helium. Yes, the helium will leak out
of the baggy, but it will hold for a day or so. That seems to be
sufficient to restore the helium lost from the gas tube. Comments?

Also: I think the topic of laserdisks is marginally "on" for vintage
computing. Early commercial video arcade games used laserdisks. I think
the first was "Dragon's Lair" if memory serves. Laserdisks were
supported by personal computers in the era as used in education -
commercial, military, and K-12. (My Sony model has a serial? interface
and some kind of command set.)

The vintage arcade collectors/restorers are important members of the
vintage computing community. Many of the dealers, offer vintage digital
parts that cross over to 1970's-80's vintage computers. They are active
in the emulation community of course; many also own vintage computers.

For myself, early on, I had a summer job repairing those early
microprocessor-based video game boards. I also had a contract job,
documenting software which supported a set of training videodisks on a
PC. Laserdisks (and RCA's SelectaVision Capacitance Electronic Disc or
CED) were an important development in multimedia computing for industry
and home.

Herb

--
Herbert R. Johnson,  New Jersey USA