[vcf-midatlantic] TRS-80 PC-1 & Printer

Dean Notarnicola dnotarnicola at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 15:38:29 EDT 2016

*From the past...*[vcf-midatlantic] Repair TRS-80 pocket computer screen
Click to teach Gmail this conversation is important.
Inbox

VCF
Christopher Blackmon via vcf-midatlantic

{no text body}
Jun 2
{no text body}
Jonathan Gevaryahu via vcf-midatlantic

Bleeding 'ink', like a black ring which is converging toward the center of
th...
Jun 2
Bleeding 'ink', like a black ring which is converging toward the center of
th...
Jonathan Gevaryahu via vcf-midatlantic <
vcf-midatlantic at lists.vintagecomputerfederation.org>
Jun 2
to *Jonathan*, Christopher
Bleeding 'ink', like a black ring which is converging toward the center of
the lcd? or squiggly lines of black 'ink' coming from one edge? In either
case that's irrepairable, you're going to need a replacement lcd for that.

--
Jonathan Gevaryahu
jgevaryahu at gmail.com
jgevaryahu at hotmail.com

Reply to all
Corey Cohen via vcf-midatlantic <
vcf-midatlantic at lists.vintagecomputerfederation.org>
Jun 2
to *Corey*, Christopher

> On Jun 2, 2016, at 1:05 PM, Christopher Blackmon <ckblackm at yahoo.com>
wrote:

> Does anyone know how to repair/replace the screen on a TRS-80 pocket
computer?
> It looks like the edges of the screen are bleeding ink or something.
> Christopher.

Replacing is a pain because you need to find a replacement glass.  There
are some people who have split the screen, cleaned it and reassembled.
Personally it seems a daunting task to me.

I'd locate another unit and use your current one for parts.  When you get
the new unit, open it up and using aquarium silicon sealer to run a bead
around the edge of the LCD display so that it stays sealed.  The PC-1 has
an early LCD screen and the seals can dry out and then start the LCD
bleeding process.  Sealing the LCD should prevent the issue.    I have done
this to my PC-1 and have no bleeding or issues.

Cheers,
Corey

corey cohen
uǝɥoɔ ʎǝɹoɔ
Reply to all
Evan Koblentz via vcf-midatlantic <
vcf-midatlantic at lists.vintagecomputerfederation.org>
Jun 2
to *Evan*

> Does anyone know how to repair/replace the screen on a TRS-80 pocket
>> computer?
>> It looks like the edges of the screen are bleeding ink or something.
>> Christopher.
>>

> Replacing is a pain because you need to find a replacement glass.  There
> are some people who have split the screen, cleaned it and reassembled.
> Personally it seems a daunting task to me.
>
> I'd locate another unit

When seeking another PC-1, remember it's only a Sharp PC-1211 in TRS
disguise.
​

On Thu, Jul 28, 2016 at 3:34 PM, Evan Koblentz via vcf-midatlantic <