[vcf-midatlantic] OT: people don't understand computers anymore

chrisjpf33 at gmail.com chrisjpf33 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 13:35:54 EDT 2016

Dean, I Appreciate your analogy with cars. I share those experiences.

On Jun 7, 2016, at 1:22 PM, Dean Notarnicola via vcf-midatlantic <vcf-midatlantic at lists.vintagecomputerfederation.org> wrote:

Having grown up in the early 8-bit era and wanting to share the experience
with my children, this is something I think about often. I liken the
general lack of knowledge about the inner working of computers to the
general lack of knowledge of automobile internals. in the first half of the
century, it behooved you to have a very good working knowledge of your car
so that you could keep it running in any kind of good order. It was easier
then, as engines, suspensions and electrical systems were vastly simpler,
and anyone with a modicum of mechanical aptitude and desire could do most
routine maintenance and repairs. Todays vehicles are an order of magnitude
more complex with virtually unserviceable electronic systems controlling
virtually every aspect of the car. So in defense of users, they shouldn't
have to know the intimate details of the car if they just want to drive.
And much the same, users should not need to know the inner workings of
computers if they have tasks to complete.  This is the goal that
programmers, user interface and human factors engineers have been striving
for years. Now we finally have it, at the cost of a loss of interest of
what's going on under the hood. The upside is computing power for everyone.
The downside is reliance on operating systems that increasingly obfuscate
the interface between the user and the hardware. It's just a shame that
many CS programs don't go further into teaching the fundamentals of
computer science and instead begin by concentrating directly on high-level
languages, data structures and algorithms; surely important, but it skips
the foundation that helps build deeper knowledge. My son Drew, who has been
exposed to the bare-metal technology, has expressed this frustration, which
I why I suggested he double major in EE.

My way of helping then, is to educate whenever I am inevitably called for
technical help or asked about my hobby. I try to explain in the most basic
terms, starting with the most fundamental concepts, and also communicate
the vital importance of preserving the history. Rather than being seen as
pedantic, it is often genuinely appreciated. The person now has had the
veil of mystery at least partially lifted and it makes them a bit more
patient when they encounter issues and gives them a sense of
empowerment over the machines they rely on so much (and has the side
benefit of reducing future calls!)

On Tue, Jun 7, 2016 at 12:21 PM, Herb Johnson via vcf-midatlantic <