[vcf-midatlantic] OT: people don't understand computers anymore

Neil Cherry ncherry at linuxha.com
Tue Jun 7 13:48:30 EDT 2016

I'm a bit old school, can't quite understand how those in computers can't
understand the underlying principles of the computer (hardware and software).
But along those same lines we're abstracting so much of this that we don't
need to understand it that well. Even worse is that 'computers' is such a
generic term/subject there is no way that anyone can know everything.

I view this more like a automobile. I don't need to know a lot about
electronics, computers or chemistry to drive a car. I really wish more
folks understood a bit more about physics though, too many attempt to
occupy the same space at the same time. ;-)

Of course the Maker school of Engineering is the other extreme. The
thinking that you really don't need to know that much to hook up an
Arduino to control a luxury liner. Hmm, why are we paying those expensive
engineers when an artist can build the same thing? Yes, that was sarcasm.

Or to sum it up, nope I don't know how to solve the problem.

Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry       ncherry at linuxha.com