[vcf-midatlantic] OT: people don't understand computers anymore

VAXman at tmesis.org VAXman at tmesis.org
Tue Jun 7 13:40:03 EDT 2016

Christian Liendo via vcf-midatlantic writes:

>> I liken the general lack of knowledge about the inner working of
>computers to the general lack of knowledge of automobile internals
>
>Thank you I was going to use the same analogy.

It's because they've become an appliance.  You don't need to know how TV works
to watch it and, in the same vein, you don't need to know how a computer works
to use it either.

Also, the GUI -- guarantee user ignorance -- has, IMNSHO, done much to remove
the user from the system.

And then, there's the education system.  Kids come out of college without any
understanding of how to program but, oh boy, they know all of the syntactical
nuances of the latest trendy language.  Assembly programming should be one of
their mandatory classes.  There, they will need to think through creation of
an algorithm using basic computer functions.  Me?  I was an EE.  Never to any
programming classes.  It was expected of us to learn it to solve EE problems.
I really see no merit to teaching some programming lingo but I do see merit
in developing a logical/programming mindset to get from point A (input) the
pot B (output).