[vcf-midatlantic] OT: people don't understand computers anymore

Herb Johnson hjohnson at retrotechnology.info
Tue Jun 7 16:11:14 EDT 2016

I'm working up some responses, but I'm about to "throw a flag". A good
part of the discussion has become "why engineers today are no good at
the deep stuff". I'm a BSEE myself, I get that. But my question is not
so much about "how can we reach the engineers of today or tomorrow?".
And certainly not about teaching differential equations, or linked-lists.

My question as posed, was how we as vintage computer owners, can reach
and inform - at least answer some questions, catch the eye - of ORDINARY
21st century people who see our stuff and show some interest?

To the technical point: ordinary people (but including some engineers)
lack familiarity with the simple but "deep" operating principles and
features of these ancient devices and software. And they lack the notion
that stuff like this was repaired, even redesigned, and built - often by
semi-technical people of the era? And they can *still* be repaired and
operated today?

So what demonstrations, explanations, and presentations, will show the
context and operation and "meaning" of these 1970's, 80's and even 90's
systems and artifacts? To today's mere mortals?

...all in the light of the 21st century circumstances many of you have
described, either for the non-techical masses, or our recent engineering
colleagues. I'll post some EE-type responses, but my point is not about
them, that's the easy lift.

herb
BSEE 1976

--