[vcf-midatlantic] OT: people don't understand computers anymore

Bill Sudbrink wh.sudbrink at verizon.net
Tue Jun 7 17:41:05 EDT 2016

Herb Johnson wrote:
> To Neil and Bill Sudbrink, other "engineers" : engineering
> issues about becoming more "abstracted" away from computing
> fundamentals, is certainly a consequence of evolving
> technology, throughout engineering.  But I'm not talking
> about showing engineers how things used to be done - although
> that's something I do - the question is about more ordinary
> people who see our stuff, interact with us. We have to explain
> our legacy mostly to ordinary people, make it relevant or
> interesting to them.

Ok.  I'll "blow my own horn" then.  I think I was able to
engage a number of more "ordinary" people with the Cyclops
I exhibited at the just passed VCF East.  Especially when
I pointed out to them that the cell phone camera that they
were using to take a picture had a direct lineage to the thing
they were taking a picture of.  Likewise, that the Dazzler
computer display again, was an ancestor of the color display
on their smart phone.

Bill S.