[vcf-midatlantic] Univac, our first real work!

Herb Johnson hjohnson at retrotechnology.info
Thu Jun 16 15:34:26 EDT 2016

I'm excited to hear about this, the work begun on these Univac units.
Vacuum tube computers are scarce, they are before my time but intriguing
to me.

The capstan problem is typical of any device that handles tape, either
magnetic or paper. I have a number of devices with melted capstans. My
casual knowledge of other's work, is to either find a similar rubber
capstan and transfer the rubber (Bill Degnan suggested this also); or to
mill out (as in milling machine) a chunk of rubber to fit. So I'd like
to hear about any resolution for this rubber capstan problem.

So I'd like my keep an ear on this Univac project for a number of reasons.

Herb
--
Herbert R. Johnson,  New Jersey USA
http://www.retrotechnology.com OR .net