[vcf-midatlantic] Internet access for the museum

Evan Koblentz evan at snarc.net
Wed Jun 22 12:13:04 EDT 2016

Good news! We're finally getting our own Internet access in the museum. No more trying to bridge off IA's cable modem or using personal hotspots.

We ordered an LTE-grade desktop (not mobile) hotspot from a company called Mobile Citizen. They only sell to non-profits. They own spectrum and lease it to Sprint, which in exchange provides the underlying service. They have a 20-20-year contract for this. They give customers like us good service for ten bucks a months. BernieS from 2600/HOPE told us about it and brought his mobile version of their product to VCF East to demo it to me. We had to apply, etc. and were recently approved. Now we're waiting for the equipment to arrive. Desktop version of their modem has wired and wireless ports, so we'll be able to do whatever we need. I'm excited about this!

Thank you to Bernie for the info and Corey for doing the paperwork (there was a lot).