[vcf-midatlantic] Upcoming: Apple II Prototype Card

Systems Glitch systems.glitch at gmail.com
Sat Jun 25 22:10:15 EDT 2016

> One item I would suggest,
> after looking at the routing of power bus,
> but without looking at the bottom side​ of your pcb yet,
> so I don't know if you had already done so,
> would be to make the ground bus encircle the entire board as well,
> but then have both ends of the ground bus connected to the ground pin on
> the card edge
> It can hard to create copper fill for the ground layer on a prototype
> board, when the parts layout is unknown
> But that one little step can still help avoid ground loops
> This problem can even happen on homebrew projects

Thanks for the feedback! There is indeed a ground trace on the bottom side, but it doesn't connect back to the ground pin. I could see ground loop issues popping up with analog circuits on the card, but you'd probably want to use a star ground there anyway. I could probably run the ground trace the rest of the way around, but I might have to remove a row of pads above the edge connector area.

Thanks,
Jonathan