[vcf-midatlantic] Museum Report for Sunday, June 26th 2016

Matt Patoray mspproductions at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 12:29:55 EDT 2016

On Sun, Jun 26, 2016 at 10:12 PM, Todd George via vcf-midatlantic <vcf-
midatlantic at lists.vintagecomputerfederation.org> wrote:

> Worked on the Amiga monitor, no video/HV at all, all caps check out.  Did
> not figure out the issue even after a nearly full tear-down of the
> monitor.  Reassembled to leave it for next time.  Also did a quick overall
> health check on the Amiga 500 power supply, all caps and voltages check
> out.  All clear on that front, monitor is still dead though.  :(
>
> The Macintosh was up and running early on, but developed a case of collapse
> part way through the day.  Didn't get a chance to look into it, but it's
> only showing a vertical line now.  I chose to just shut it down for the
> day.
>
> I also spent some time organizing the museum workbench.  :)
>
> -Todd

Sound like the Horizontal oscillator is not running in the Amiga monitor,
as that is what is used to generate HV in the flyback, could you hear the
15.7 kHz whine?

When a monitor or TV looses horizontal or vertical deflection and collapses
to a single line, immediately turn the monitor off or at least turn the
brightness down to a minimum, as all the energy that was used to scan the
entire screen ins now concentrated in 1 line and will quickly burn the CRT.

--
Matt Patoray
Owner, MSP Productions