[vcf-midatlantic] Vintage (yes really) Cisco router/TS

Neil Cherry ncherry at linuxha.com
Thu Jun 30 17:14:08 EDT 2016

Like I said, right person. :-)

>   One of the founders of Cisco lives up the road from me.  I'm sure
> he'll want to be in on setting that up.

I wonder if he knows the trick to flip the bit to allow the device to
be both a router and a TS. There was some trick to it and unfortunately
the person I know who knew it has passed away. :(

>> It does have an interesting problem, when running it sounds like a
>> leaf blower (and it can move all the paper work off your desk). This
>> was the way it was designed. It was meant for DC rack space when it
>> was designed.
>
>   Yes, the blower in the AGS is somewhat legendary!

I had one of these on my desk in our Hadley Rd support center (I did
network support for AT&T). I could get everything to work properly but
OSI (DECNet PhV). That alway seems to break MS SMB stuff.

I had one customer who had IBM hardware, DEC, Vines, XNS, PUP, IP and
Novel 2.0. It was actually pretty cool to see him login to the mainframe
and then proceed to run processes with pipes and redirection across multiple
machine (IBM, DEC and Unix). He was mostly a mainframe person but totally
understood the 'Unix way'. His environment was extremely well integrate to
the terminal. This was before SSH.

Sorry about the trip down memory lane, those were some fun times.

Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry       ncherry at linuxha.com