[vcf-midatlantic] SOT 10base-5 LAN parts

Tom Hornberger tom.hornberger at verizon.net
Thu Jun 30 21:43:17 EDT 2016

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian Schenkenberger via vcf-midatlantic <vcf-midatlantic at lists.vintagecomputerfederation.org>
To: vcf-midatlantic <vcf-midatlantic at lists.vintagecomputerfederation.org>
Cc: VAXman <VAXman at tmesis.org>
Sent: Thu, Jun 30, 2016 8:23 pm
Subject: Re: [vcf-midatlantic] SOT 10base-5 LAN parts

Evan Koblentz via vcf-midatlantic writes:

>>> How do you envision it being installed in our current space? For
>examp= le, would we need to hang a cable ladder from the ceiling so
>wires can co= nnect the minicomputer area to where our router will be in
>the workshop a= rea? (Looks will matter, given that we're a museum, not
>a lab.)
>
>Another question is, what's the advantage to connecting some of the
>minis=  to the Internet? We can't keep that sort of equipment running
>24/7.

Power and process cooling woould be the major impediments; otherwise, just
consideration for the wear and tear on the old kit.

As for the cabling, I prefer to see the overhead cable conduit approach.

Hey,
It seems we're talking about putting a network together.  I know where a nice Dell 1/2 rack & a HP server
are available for free. Maybe we could set up a server to hold software for the machines on our network.

Tom