[vcf-midatlantic] More about the STK library

Matt Patoray mspproductions at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 13:35:26 EST 2016

On Mon, Mar 7, 2016 at 1:13 PM, Dave McGuire via vcf-midatlantic <

> On 03/07/2016 11:44 AM, Evan Koblentz via vcf-midatlantic wrote:
> >> All those tape fraudsters...
> >>
> >> 40TB in tape probably means *5TB uncompressed
> >>
> >> :-)
> >>
> >> (Yes, I know their false marketing was normally assuming 2:1
> compression)
> >
> > Indeed. Spec is 20.6TB uncompressed using 36GB DLT 7000 cartridges.
> >
> > Still, the most storage local in any current phone is 128GB with another
> > 128GB possible through a microSD card. Combined that is "only" 1/4th of
> > a TB.
> >
> > Looks like we'll definitely have to reference cloud storage on the sign.
> > I am fine with that because the prevalence of LTE + WiFi make many TBs
> > of storage * essentially * local/personal to your phone.
>
>   That's many TBs of *someone else's* storage.  Despite corporations'
> heavy attempts to train the general uneducated public that there's no
> difference, you and I know that the distinction is critical.
>
>   One thing I had thought to do with that tape juke is to use a sheet
> metal nibbler to cut a "window" in the main door, put some lucite/plexi
> in there with a rubber surround to make it look good, then write some
> code to move the tape picker around inserting/rearranging tapes.  I hate
> modifying hardware, and normally I'd never consider such a thing, but as
> you observed, the thing just isn't old enough to be "vintage" to anyone
> but the most clueless PC person, and they're not terribly rare either.
> But most people are never in an environment where such things are in
> use, so it'd be a new experience to see one batting its positioner around.
>
>                 -Dave
>
> --
> Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
> New Kensington, PA

Simmilar to the StorageTek tape juke is the Sony BetaCart and its
variations, but insted of DLT tapes it contained some form of videotape
cassette either BetaCam 1/2" variants or D-2 3/4" tapes.
The system was introduced in 1985 and allowwd a TV station to air many
different videotapes automatically, the minimum system consisted of
1(expandable to 4) BetaCam VCR modified to take tapes in from the side, a
cart robot that could hold 30 tapes, an AV matrix switcher and a custom
control computer with bar code printing and reading cability.

--
Matt Patoray
Owner, MSP Productions