[vcf-midatlantic] OT: LED lights

William Dudley wfdudley at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 15:48:41 EST 2016

My experience with LED lamps for motorcycle use is that the driver generates
RF interference that wipes out fringe FM reception on the motorcycle.  Down
here
in Ocean County, pretty much everything but WOBM is fringe  :-(

LED drivers are high frequency switchers so they are all going to generate
some
RF.

I would be tempted to ASK the radio guys if they can recommend LED lights
that
have low emissions.  They are the experts, and it's "their problem" if our
lights piss all
over their radios.

ALSO: My brother works for an LED lamp manufacturer.  He says that the
consumer
grade Cree lamps are inexpensive because Cree has chosen to overdrive the
LEDs,
counting on the unlikeliness that people will take a 4 year old burned out
LED light back
to the store (or mail it back to Cree).  In other words, Cree is gambling
their good name
to chase short term profits.

Bill Dudley

This email is free of malware because I run Linux.