[vcf-midatlantic] examples of non-crystal based clocks in digital computing?

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sun Mar 13 14:51:26 EDT 2016

On 03/13/2016 05:32 AM, Ben Greenfield wrote:
> I have one simple specific question, without a simple answer and general call for examples.
>
> I’m researching timing clocks used in general purpose digital computing. I’m starting to think that Ace/Pilot Ace by Alan Turing is the start of clock based general purpose computers. I’m starting to conclude the earlier computers were all basically clocked by the media holding the instructions.
>
> Is this correct?
>
> I’m currently looking for examples of general purpose computers that do not use crystal based clocks.
>
> Any thoughts appreciated.

  I don't think this is really what you're looking for, but since it
popped into my head I'd mention it just in case.  The built-in console
port on the PDP-11/05 and 11/10 processor board set uses an RC
oscillator as a baud rate generator.

  It's very common in the modern microcontroller space.  The SiLabs
EFM32 ARM family has built-in RC clock generators, in particular, as do
many others.  The Green Arrays GA144 Forth array processor, positioned
as a general-purpose microcontroller, takes it a step further with an
asynchronous, i.e. non-clocked, design.

                -Dave

--
Dave McGuire, AK4HZ