[vcf-midatlantic] (Delayed) pictures from yesterday

gsteemso 48bitsorbust at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 15:38:01 EDT 2016

Hi all,

On Mar 14, 2016, at 8:12 PM, Evan Koblentz <evan at snarc.net> wrote:
> There's a lot more work to do. For example, each station will get a backdrop, so visitors (and their pictures!) are not distracted by artifacts/walls behind the units. We determined that the most affordable way to do this is to use bolts of fabric. A bolt is a yard wide (same as each unit), up to 10 yards long, and can be purchased in almost any color. I called the fabric store and found out they'll even cut an entire bolt into a zillion slices for us. If we get them cut into 6-ft. lengths (same height as each shelving unit, then we can just attach them to the back of each unit, it makes a nice backdrop, and it's completely mobile with the unit itself.

While I have no opinion on appropriate backdrop coloration other than agreeing it should contrast for good photography (corollary: avoid sharply clashing brightness levels), I would advise caution in the selection of material. If you get something relatively fine-woven it will be a lot less likely to collect dust, though relative immunity from static buildup helps there too (and is probably a good idea anyway, considering the nature of the collection, heh!) The ability to resist CHANGING the chosen colour after years of light exposure is also important.