[vcf-midatlantic] Our new toys :)

Evan Koblentz evan at snarc.net
Thu Mar 17 12:35:04 EDT 2016

>> It's an original.
>>
>> A recycling company, in the same area as where our UNIVAC came from,
>> just happened to have all the same parts that ours is missing. That
>> makes me very angry, because it probably means someone took the parts
>> before we got to it and then flipped them for money. Further, when we
>> approached the recycler with our story -- we're a museum, blah blah
>> blah
>> -- they basically said, "Tough (bleep), you want it, you pay our retail
>> price for it." We told them NO and figured we could probably get a
>> reproduction. Later, Corey L. took it upon himself to buy the faceplate
>> so he could donate it to us. :)  Now our Univac won't have an identity
>> crisis every time it looks in the mirror.
>
> Arg.  Well, thanks for the story.  Is there a list somewhere of
> what they have for sale/what "ours" needs?

The only thing they had that we were "forced" to buy was the core
memory, because we can't get that anywhere else. So we took a deep
breath and bought it. They had some other pieces but they no longer do.

We're very grateful that Corey L. bought the nameplate and made the
donation to us, however, my general opinion of the recycling company
that did this is... unfit to print.