[vcf-midatlantic] DEC serial console cable wanted

David Riley fraveydank at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 12:16:15 EDT 2016

On Mar 18, 2016, at 11:53, Jameel Akari via vcf-midatlantic <vcf-midatlantic at lists.vintagecomputerfederation.org> wrote:

> Excellent.  I only need to make up a few cables, and having found the Pacific Cable source earlier, don't really want to buy 100 of them.

If you Google "DEC MMJ plugs", the shopping links contain some places where you can get onesie-twosies for .50 each, if that's what you want.

> 30-585 is the Ideal Crimpmaster MMJ/DECconnect die, of which there seems to be exactly one on eBay, bundled with three other dies I already have. I'll skip that.

Maybe. The Paladin tool is an excellent one, though, and their MMJ die is still made and available through Amazon for like $25.

> I should figure/find out mappings from MMJ RS-232 to Cisco/Sun and maybe Xyplex RJ-45 serial.  If I don't need to switch back and forth between D-sub and modular and back again, I'd rather not, even if it means I'm making a one-off special unicorn cable.

That's what I do; I use a Cyclades pinout DB25-8p8c adaptor and just make an 8p8c->MMJ cable with 6-conductor silver satin. The Cyclades pinout works very well for MMJ; all the conductors are in order, and you only have to snip/bend down one of them. And if, like me, you have a 48-port Cyclades terminal server, that's a really useful cable to have a lot of.

- Dave