[vcf-midatlantic] May 14 -- New museum open house

Herb Johnson hjohnson at retrotechnology.info
Thu Mar 31 13:23:48 EDT 2016

> InfoAge is hosting an open house / grand opening event on Saturday, May
> 14 from 1pm-5pm. that houses our museum....I hear there's going
> to be a party atmosphere -- food, drink, etc.
>
> ... I propose that we have
> our next repair workshop coinciding with this event.  It
> would be very good of us InfoAge-citizen-wise if lots
> of us show up that Saturday...

You put this as a proposal, so it's a request for comments. I recommend
against this proposal, to link a repair workshop with the grand opening
event. The point of a repair workshop is to work, on repair. This
Saturday event would eat up almost all of Saturday, in preparation and
the event itself.

But I may attend the grand opening, as you said that's supportive of
InfoAge. You might consider some other specific VCFed museum activity
that would coincide with and support the opening event. A demonstration
of repair for instance - like straightforward repair of common vintage
computers, that's something you'd not demonstrate during regular museum
operation.

As it's a month after the VCF-E re-opening of the museum, it's not
reasonable to make a special exhibit. But it's possible there's some
"crossover" items you could show, related to other InfoAge groups. For
instance, radio amateur's early use of microcomputers for networking,
repeaters, Morse code. I have some artifacts of that sort I could lend.

Also you might make a poster showing "before" and "after" to make the
point about VCFed use of the new building.

So I've made positive counter-proposals, about your proposal to support
the InfoAge open house.

Herb Johnson
--
Herbert R. Johnson,  New Jersey USA