[vcf-midatlantic] OT: One modern PC, two screens

Systems Glitch systems.glitch at gmail.com
Thu May 19 09:52:15 EDT 2016

As a programmer/electronics guy, multi-monitors is pretty much the most productive thing ever. If you have only one video output you will need to buy a second video card. If you're going to plug in a non-4K display, it can be pretty much any old video card.

If you're going 4K, which I highly recommend if you stare at the computer screen all day, you'll need to buy a card with DisplayPort (or whatever newer HDMI rev supports 4K) and explicit 4K support. I went with the cheapest short-length NVidia card at the time, I think it was around $80-100 from NewEgg.

If you've never, ever used multi-monitor, I'd say start with just a basic cheapie LCD and graphics card, and upgrade to 4K if you really like it. 4K is *much* easier on the eyes, and yes the decent 4K displays cost $300-400, but like all decent displays, they're going to last longer than buying the cheapest 4K TV from China. Personally, I have a 24" Dell P2415Q, but I'd recommend going with the 27" P2715Q -- I thought 27" might be too low of a pixel density, having worked with 27" iMacs at a previous job, but it definitely would not be.

Note that you're not limited to *two* monitors. A lot of people like three, with one or two in portrait mode. Portrait mode is really nice for viewing full PDF documents, datasheets, et c.

Thanks,
Jonathan