[vcf-midatlantic] OT: One modern PC, two screens

william degnan billdegnan at gmail.com
Thu May 19 10:10:10 EDT 2016

On Thu, May 19, 2016 at 10:06 AM, Evan Koblentz via vcf-midatlantic <

> Thanks for the info. Right now I use a 22" screen in portrait mode
> (because the main things I do are email, writing, and browsing) connected
> to the mobo's on-board VGA. Very low-frills. Looking to add a second screen
> of similar size. Never had more than one screen.
>
> The thought of a second screen came to me yesterday. I started working on
> a portable computing "bushy tree" which some prominent people have asked me
> to do for many years now. I made a spreadsheet to organize it. The
> spreadsheet is wide :) and it's hard to see the whole thing even when I put
> my screen into landscape mode. Had to zoom out to 70% at which point it's
> hard to read.
>
> My concern about two screens is the distraction factor. I already find it
> difficult to concentrate on stuff. If there were twice the info in front of
> me, then it probably wouldn't help!
>
> Ian, where are these nearly free monitors? :)  Cheapest I'm seeing on NJ
> Craiglist are $50-$100.

Open your machine to see what slots are available, then go to the local PC
repair place and ask for a used video card that will fit the slot (take
picture if you need to).  they'll have them for next to nothing/give away.
May also have a used Dell 15" monitor you can park next to your 22" as a
complementary display.

I can't program without two monitors.

--
@ BillDeg: