[vcf-midatlantic] (no subject)

Corey Cohen applecorey at optonline.net
Sat May 28 09:39:27 EDT 2016

> On May 28, 2016, at 8:39 AM, Dave McGuire via vcf-midatlantic <vcf-midatlantic at lists.vintagecomputerfederation.org> wrote:
>
>> On 05/28/2016 06:47 AM, Mike Willegal via vcf-midatlantic wrote:
>> Not too many years ago, a friend found a Cray 1 that was stored in
>> someone's garage and made a deal to buy it.  Before he even took
>> possession, he ended up trading it for an Apple 1 when he realized he
>> didn't have a place to keep it.
>>
>> Who knows, there could be a few more out there in the wild.  Not so
>> many years ago, it was estimated that there were only 30 Apple 1 's
>> remaining. New units keep surfacing every year.
>
>  The difference with early Crays is that we pretty much know where all
> of them went.  There really aren't any more.
>
>             -Dave
>
> --
> Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
> New Kensington, PA

I think the difference between the Apple-1 and the early Cray computers is that the Crays were a controlled item.  You couldn't buy or ship one without US government approval, so there is a paper trail for them.  The Apple-1 was a hobbyist/consumer computer so once sold, if a record of that was even kept, they disappeared into a black hole until they emerged.