[vcf-midatlantic] (no subject)

Ethan telmnstr at 757.org
Sat May 28 09:52:46 EDT 2016

> I think the difference between the Apple-1 and the early Cray computers
> is that the Crays were a controlled item.  You couldn't buy or ship one
> without US government approval, so there is a paper trail for them.
> The Apple-1 was a hobbyist/consumer computer so once sold, if a record
> of that was even kept, they disappeared into a black hole until they
> emerged.

When I originally bought my set of Crays they made me sign the
"acknowledgement that it is a munition" document. It came from a
government contractor and the space it was in was TS. When I sold one of
them to someone in Sweeden or Switzerland, it took me a little bit of work
to make sure I was actually allowed to export the thing.

Fun times!