[vcf-midatlantic] Museum network

Neil Cherry ncherry at linuxha.com
Tue Nov 29 13:30:09 EST 2016

On 11/29/2016 01:05 PM, Systems Glitch via vcf-midatlantic wrote:
>> I don't know that we have much data to protect (or target!) but what does the
>> hive-mind here think about it? A firewall is generally good to have; would this one
>> suit us?
>
> All computing resources should be protected, there's no excuse for zero protection
> nowadays.

Afraid, Kernel Sanders? ;-)

Actually it is this 'it's not important' attitude that causes way too much problems
for those work with such things. I'll stop now as this could be a very long rant.

> You've clearly not heard the 1U screamers I'm talking about -- it's a high pitched,
> extremely annoying and LOUD sound. It penetrated the 4 wythe brick walls that separated
> our server room from the storage area in front of it. You'll know something is going
> on, but you won't want to be anywhere around it!

How about 26 Cisco 7600's fully loaded and dual power supplies?

Martin donated a 6500 (same as the 7600 basically) that could handle
your switching/routing needs (and then some). I think we need to wait
a bit longer before we can really put it to work. There currently isn't
enough of a load to work with it.

Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry       ncherry at linuxha.com