[vcf-midatlantic] Museum network

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Tue Nov 29 19:24:20 EST 2016

On 11/29/2016 12:52 PM, Evan Koblentz via vcf-midatlantic wrote:
>>> I have a Nokia IP-600 hardware firewall sitting in my storage.
>>> If anyone
> is interested in it, I can bring it to Festivus.
>
> I don't know that we have much data to protect (or target!) but what
> does the hive-mind here think about it? A firewall is generally good
> to have; would this one suit us?

  This is a common error.  Having servers on the Internet is like having
a loaded Howitzer in your living room.  Even if you have nothing else
worth protecting in your living room, it's still a good idea to lock the
front door.

  Since the advent of Windows machines having IP stacks, the vast
majority of both attacks and spam on the Internet has been armies of
remotely-controlled Windows machines whose users say "Oh, I only use it
for games, pictures, etc...I don't need to protect it."  You're not
protecting your data, you're guarding against the use of your hardware
to attack others without your knowledge.

             -Dave

--
Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
New Kensington, PA