[vcf-midatlantic] oldest email address in the club

Jim Scheef jscheef at outlook.com
Thu Sep 1 18:04:36 EDT 2016

I have no direct evidence (old email text) to prove this, but my Internet email use goes back to about 1989-90 when CompuServe (CIS) opened a gateway to Internet mail. My evidence for the date is the fact that I'm in the book "CompuServe From A to Z" published in 1991. My regular (paid) address was 76137.757 at compuserve.com; plus I had a sponsored account 76702,1654.
CIS had gateways to various email services like MCI Nail, AT&T Mail, etc. AT&T Mail used X.500 addressing and this gateway allowed reaching yet more systems based on X.500 addressing. X.500 was an ITU 'standard' implemented in various email systems (or optional gateways) as a lowest common denominator. This included MHS, Microsoft Mail, cc:Mail, VINES, etc.
I used these gateways to communicate with my son attending BU at the time. He used to send in his turns to a play my mail game. Remember email was pretty esoteric back then and having an email address (or two) on your business card was a real status symbol. When you wanted to send someone an email, the conversation always started with "What service do you use?"
I'm surprised no one has mentioned FidoNet - or was this thread limited to Internet email?
You can find a non-description of the "bang path" in this Wikipedia article (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UUCP#Mail_routing). I found other mentions but no examples.
Jim