[vcf-midatlantic] WTD: cable Digital VR 260 Terminal

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Sep 8 14:50:39 EDT 2016

On 09/08/2016 02:30 PM, william degnan via vcf-midatlantic wrote:
>>   In most of the variants of these cables, on the top of that plastic
>> block is also an RJ-22 connector (telephone handset connector) for an
>> LK-series keyboard, and a MicroDIN connector for a DEC-protocol mouse.
>
> ok  I did think that this might be the case, but the manual does not
> mention a keyboard so I became unsure if this was a terminal or display, or
> something special purpose.

  Well the keyboard and mouse just plug onto the cable, not to the
monitor...the monitor is just a regular dumb analog video monitor,
nothing more.

  The DA15 connector on the other end of the cable also (obviously)
carries the keyboard/mouse signals, but they are separate from the
video.  That cable can be very long, I've seen them at 75 feet, so that
the "workstation" kbd/mouse/CRT end can be in an office while the
machine it's connected to can be in a datacenter down the hall or
whatever, with just one cable. (aside from power for the monitor of course)

  But there are different cables, depending on what type of system
you're planning to connect it to, just beware of that.

             -Dave

--
Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
New Kensington, PA