[vcf-midatlantic] C64 CRT monitors vs LCD (was: PC speakers needed)

Ian Primus ian.primus.ccmp at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 13:30:25 EDT 2016

On Fri, Sep 16, 2016 at 11:39 AM, Herb Johnson via vcf-midatlantic
<vcf-midatlantic at lists.vintagecomputerfederation.org> wrote:

> 2) It's reasonable to use LCD's over CRT monitors for many reasons; of
> course it's good to show original equipment as well. But eight CRT's are a
> tough exhibition to "mount", physically and because of failures. Eight LCD's
> makes more sense - I can make that case if necessary, essentially CRT's are
> a pain in the a**. This has been discussed, and I agree with the
> considerations noted.

Considering that we're only talking about moving eight 1702's from the
warehouse to the exhibit hall, I really, genuinely, fail to see what's
the problem here. They weigh almost nothing, they stack well, and
they're easy and period appropriate. I can carry two of them at a
time. Personally, I'd say hooking up a converter, a VGA monitor, and
speakers - all of which require their own power cord - to be a lot
more of a pain in the neck.

At least once a month or so, I'm helping to run and organize video
game tournaments of a game that is exclusively played on CRT
televisions. This involves packing my van, or frequently a rental box
truck - to the gills with 19" CRT televisions. I can fit 24 of them in
my van at once with careful stacking : http://imgur.com/a/J7Td8

I mean, I'm not saying don't use LCD's - if you want to, by all means,
go ahead. But it just seems like so much more work - more expense,
more things to connect and power, more wires, more devices... When one
convenient little cube of a monitor does all you need and looks the
part.

-Ian