[vcf-midatlantic] Mad science experiment

Jameel Akari jakari at bithose.com
Tue Sep 27 10:43:58 EDT 2016

On Tue, 27 Sep 2016, Evan Koblentz via vcf-midatlantic wrote:

>>> using LOGO on a //e is a great idea - even if it was done tongue in
>>> cheek.
>
> It's not tongue-in-cheek. LOGO on the Apple II was a big deal for young
> children in the mid-1980s. I wasn't one of them: I was a few years too
> old by that time, so we learned BASIC instead (middle school, just after
> it stopped being "junior high"). But I did learn some LOGO turtle
> graphics on a Commodore in elementary school.
>
> I thought I'd make something more interesting than the standard Lego
> turtle. But now there is little time before Maker Faire so the turtle is
> feeling inevitable.

ISTR having some LOGO on //e's in 4th grade.  Somewhere I have a floppy
with my saved programs.  They still did some LOGO into 6th grade.

Aside from power/weight ratio of a quad vs. the bulk of an Apple // or ][,
I could envision using the LOGO turtle interfaces through a
microcontroller that then sent translation commands to the drone's
built-in controller, maybe just by hacking the remote.  The // certainly
doesn't have the compute or interrupts to fly it directly, but it can take
the controls.  Probably not enough time to make that go before Maker
Faire. :)

Maybe I missed this, but maybe build the Lego LOGO robot large enough to
carry around the //?

--
Jameel Akari