[vcf-midatlantic] What's wrong with my program experiment?

Dan Roganti ragooman at gmail.com
Fri Apr 7 08:11:36 EDT 2017

On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 7:01 AM, Dan Roganti <ragooman at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 6, 2017 at 5:38 PM, Evan Koblentz via vcf-midatlantic <
>
>> ​some other guy mentioned cross-talk, that's why I posted that link to the
>>> 1982 issue which explains how that operates. ​It also mentions a work
>>> around in Assembly code, since adding more delay defeats the purpose of
>>> using assembly code. But I'm not sure yet if there's a work around for
>>> Basic code, maybe there is, perhaps using the same Kernal Rom Calls. But
>>> then your game isn't really time critical as in an assembly program. So
>>> you
>>> most likely won't suffer any lag.
>>>

>> Yeah I'm happy with how it works now.
>>
>> Primitive collision detection 101: I added a line that if X=10 and Y=10
>> (where I'd made a plot) then switch to text mode and print something. It
>> didn't work and I wasn't sure why. Then I remembered the joystick is never
>> * exactly * at 10,10, but rather at 10.(lots of decimals). So I put in
>> another line saying X=INT(X):Y=INT(Y) to force the whole number. Now when I
>> move the joystick to the plot of 10,10 it works.
>>
>> Per a suggestion at http://www.vcfed.org/forum/sho
>> wthread.php?57097-Joystick-problem&p=455221#post455221 I'll probably
>> make a version of the game where the plot location is random and if you hit
>> it then you found the kitten. :) Non-kitten plot locations could be (gasp)
>> educational: you found a minicomputer, you found a tape library, etc., and
>> each one would teach you something about that artifact.
>>

> ​yea that's all what collision detection amounted to on the Apple,
> just a bunch of IF/THEN's to check the coordinates each time you move
> Basically one IF/THEN for each object you place on the grid,
> And then if you have walls, that's some more,
> but those involve ranges because the wall extends over many pixels, either
> for X or Y
> So you would use some boolean logic in your IF/THEN's to check these ranges
>
> once you get some practice with that, then you can try using a 2
> dimensional array,
> this would help you keep track of the objects on the grid,
> this will reduce the amount of changes to your code with your IF/THEN's
> whenever you change or move the objects
> at the beginning of the code you would fill up the array with your
> objects, walls, etc
> Then you only need one IF/THEN for everything, just compare the current
> x,y position to the 2-D array
> If the contents of the 2-D array is occupied, ie "not zero", then you hit
> the object
> This also allows assigning hit values to each object, within the array
> eg, if one object has a bigger value, you get a bigger bonus if you hit
> that one
> Dan

​oh, I left out the Hi-Res graphics options, since I saw you wanted to use
this too
using Shape Tables with the DRAW command and checking the Collision​ counter
Applesoft can let you automate the collision detection with this too
There was a good writeup in NIBBLE magazine back in the early 80s
http://www.appleii-box.de/APPLE2/CollisionCounter/CollisionCounter.pdf
Dan