[vcf-midatlantic] Game up, something to show

Evan Koblentz evan at vcfed.org
Fri Apr 7 23:34:03 EDT 2017

Someone on VCForum joked that I should make it "Find the kitten" --
apparently that's a thing on the internet -- so I did:

https://tinyurl.com/kwalvsy

It's silly but it uses everything I learned so far: how to move a
sprite, how to make the joystick's 256 increments match the lores
screen's 40 increments, how to combine static images with the moving
image, how to generate random(ish) numbers, how to do collision
detection, how to animate an image (by primitive method of redrawing
over old image in background color, etc.), and how to restart by using
the joystick button (already learned from previous Lego robot experiment).

The real game will be a bigger challenge. Have to merge the robot code
into the game framework (hey Brace and Dan, yes the main program is all
subroutines), make additional collision detection for when you drive the
robot over the screen boundaries, make obstacles, make a scoring system,
improve the graphics, and optimize the code (even I understand it WILL
get slow as it grows).

Tools I learned to use in the robot + game process so far -- ADTpro,
Cidepress. (Dan: turns out using Ciderpress is easier than you and I
both thought. Just open the .dsk image, select your .txt file with the
"convert to .BAS" option, and that's it -- it automatically adds it to
your disk image; you don't have to re-save the image or use any
compression formats. Discovered this by accident when I reloaded the
program, but I forgot to re-save the image, and yet the new code was
magically on the disk already.)

Evan Koblentz, director
Vintage Computer Federation
a 501(c)(3) educational non-profit