[vcf-midatlantic] A 1986 bulletin board system has brought the old Web back to life in 2017

W2HX w2hx at w2hx.com
Sun Apr 9 13:49:38 EDT 2017

My first modem was a 300 baud acoustic coupler I built from a kit. Memory is hazy, but I think it was a kit from a company called 'micromint' I think they had a store somewhere in long island where I went to pick it up, but I was a kid with my father driving so who can remember such things.

I dialed into every bbs I could get my hands on. My parent's phone bill went through the roof! Especially from those long distance calls! ouch!

Through older friends and family, I also had access to some computer (harris? Vulcan operating system?) from stonybrook (or one of the suny school) and a machine at the university of texas (don't recall the details). I even was able to gain access to the long island online library system. I went to my local library and saw a terminal there. Taped onto the terminal was a phone number. I don't even think they used passwords back then. I think I pressed "enter" when the login prompt appeared and I was in. I could tell you for any given book, what library had it and what shelf it was on! That knowledge and a $1.00 could get you a ride on the subway system (back then) and not much more.

Eugene W2HX